Scheduled for display at the 2019 SEMA Show in Las Vegas in early November is what is believed to be the first application of a Cummings R2.8 turbo-diesel crate engine in a street truck application, in a 1966 Chevrolet C10 pickup by Johny G. The truck is owned by Morgan Youngberg.
The truck will be showcased by United Pacific Industries, supplier of an expanded lineup of vintage Chevy C10 parts for hot rod and restoration projects.
“United Pacific is very excited to show Johny G’s latest C10 vision and share the growing enthusiasm for classic trucks,” Jai Baek, United Pacific marketing and creative director, was quoted in the news release. “It is a great example of what’s possible with imagination, creativity, attention to detail and the right parts for the build.”
The truck rides on a custom chassis, Bastille Concave U587 US Mags and Lexani tires.
The short bed/big window body style was fabricated by Arizona-based Metalox Fab, which started with a rust-free, unrestored long bed/small window model but preserved most of the patina of the truck’s original green-and-white paint scheme.
United Pacific supplied LED lighting front and rear, door handles and window cranks, headlamp switches and the battery disconnect switch, among other parts.
The company also more new parts coming soon for classic C10s, including a short bed bedside panel for 1968-72 Chevy and GMC fleetside trucks, bed floor pan and tailgate (with the GMC script) for 1967-72 Chevy and GMC fleetside short bed trucks, and the company soon will offer a blank tailgate as well as a Chevrolet tailgate.
The new components are designed to help restore a factory short bed model or to make it easier to convert a long bed into the popular short bed body style.
“As vintage C10s continue to increase in popularity with enthusiasts, United Pacific is committed to developing more products to help them build the truck of their dreams,” said Baek.
United Pacific / Johny G 1966 Chevrolet C10
* Owner: Morgan Youngberg
* Builder: Metalox Fab LLC / Johny’s Garage
* Body: 1966 Chevrolet C10 short bed / big window (modified from original long bed / small window)
* Exterior: Bumpers, door handles, lighting and other trim by United Pacific; bed wood by Mar-K
* Interior: Rearview mirror, headlamp switch and additional components by United Pacific; upholstery components by TMI; gauges by Dakota Digital; sound insulation by Vibro Soultion; and weather stripping by Precision Replacement Parts
* Chassis: Boxed steel with C-notched frame rails by Porterbuilt Fabrication
* Suspension: Porterbuilt Fab front and rear drop members with frame stiffener and air-adjustable ride height
* Air management: AccuAir e-Level controller
* Engine: Cummins R2.8 inline-four turbo-diesel (161 HP / 310 LB-FT)
* Transmission: Chevrolet Performance / Hydra-Matic 6L80-E six-speed automatic
* Rear end: 9-inch by Currie Enterprises
* Brakes: Four-wheel disc by Pro Performance (14-inch front / 13-inch rear with drilled/slotted rotors and C5 Corvette calipers)
* Wheels: US Mags Bastille Concave U587 22 x 8.5-inch (front) and 22 x 12-inch (rear)
* Tires: 235/30R22 front and 315/25R22 rear Lexani Tires