Steeda Performance Vehicles releases serialized Steve McQueen edition Mustang Bullitt
With Ford continuing the legacy with its new and modern Bullitt Mustang, it’s only fitting that the legacy of Steve McQueen continues as well, and Steeda Performance Vehicles has taken up the challenge.
A limited run of 300 serialized Bullitts per year will be produced and will be available through Steeda Performance Vehicles utilizing the new Ford Bullitt Mustang as a starting point. Added value to the collectible nature of the car is the serialization, which may also be increased by the recent announcement of the Bullitt used in the movie heading to auction in 2020. The McQueen edition is essentially a high performance re-engineered version designed, approved and tested by Chad McQueen, McQueen Racing, the estate of Steve McQueen, Steeda and Galpin Auto Sports.
Key upfits to the car are:
– Two available powertrains: naturally aspirated 550 horsepower or supercharged to 775
– Nitto NT555 G2 35 performance tires on custom Steve McQueen 20-inch aluminum wheels
– Billet aluminum front and rear sway bars “welded billet ends”
– Lowered and performance-tuned suspension with IRS sub frame bushings, support brace and alignment kit
– Bump-steer kit
– Extreme G-Trac K-Member support brace
– Ultra-lite chassis jacking rails
– McQueen Racing short throw tri-ax shifter
– Clutch spring assist and perch kit upgrade
– Steve McQueen edition door sill plates, dashboard plate, floor mats, rear decklid emblem, car cover, and 6-point seat belts
– Engine compartment serialized plate
– Aerodynamic front fascia enhancement package
The McQueen edition purchaser’s package includes:
– Letter of authenticity
– Signed and numbered 2019 Steve McQueen edition print by Camilo Pardo, designer of the 2005 Ford GT
– Steve McQueen edition key fobs
– Special commemorative Steve McQueen edition license plate numbered JJZ109 – a nod to the Bullitt movie car
I had the opportunity to ride-along and to drive the serialized 001 McQueen Bullitt with Joe Day, Steeda Performance Vehicle’s global sales and marketing director. Day might better be described as a high-level automotive enthusiast.
Before my McQueen Bullitt experience, I drove a factory Ford Bullitt Mustang. A significant difference between the two cars was the increased control through corners in the McQueen version, which provides a beautiful balance of power, handling, and drivability. Powering through the corners was easily done in confidence as you feel the car’s lower center of gravity and how it becomes planted during each turn. Moving out of a turn and into the next made for a quick maneuver thanks to the supercharger, quick throttle response and tight steering.
The upgraded short-throw tri-ax shifter made for quick and easy gear changes in a fluid motion from the Alcantara-wrapped steering wheel to the signature Bullitt white round shift knob while comfortably planted in custom Recaro seats embroidered in the signature Bullitt green.
An optional rear seat delete and installation of the custom powder-coated Steve McQueen green four-point roll bar adds to the rigidity of the body.
To me, the most appealing aspect of the upgraded McQueen edition was that it felt and drove like an enthusiast’s car. Not overwhelmingly powerful but still a platform where a driver could apply their skills with room for growth, a true representation of what Steve McQueen inspired in so many people. It balances comfort and performance making this the perfect vehicle for a daily driver and a weekend track car.
The first 300 Steeda Performance Vehicle’s McQueen edition Bullitt Mustang are available at a suggested retail price of $20,995 over the base 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt.
For more information visit: Steeda Performance Vehicles.