Cars to be sold at four auctions in early 2019
Editor’s note: The ClassicCars.com Journal is your source for Amelia Island news – from collector car auctions and shows to the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance. Read more of our coverage on our dedicated page.
“Youngtimer” is the European term for vehicles that are too young to be classics, but which already have earned status as being coveted by collectors. More than 140 such vehicles from a single collection will be offered by RM Sotheby’s at four of its auctions in 2019, the auction house announced Tuesday.
“RM Sotheby’s has secured the dream garage for any enthusiast of modern classics, to be offered across the company’s Paris, Amelia Island, Fort Lauderdale, and Essen auctions in 2019,” the company said.
“Totaling more than 140 cars, the single-owner private collection is offered largely without reserve and comprises some of the most collectible European and Japanese marques and models of the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s, assembled by a collector who — much like so many others — admired these vehicles in his youth.”
Highlighting each of the four sales are:
February 6 at Paris Retromobile
• 1982 BMW Alpina B7 Turbo S driven 58,000 kilometers since new
• 1989 Mercedes-Benz 500 SEC AMG 6.0 “wide body” driven 28,000 kilometers
• 2006 Ferrari Superamerica, one of only 43 with manual transmission
• 1994 BMW 850 CSi
• 1992 Porsche 928 GTS with manual transmission
• Several late-model British luxury cars
March 9 at Amelia Island, Florida
• 2004 Ferrari 575M Maranello with 6-speed manual
• Several Japanese performance vehicles including 9,200-mile Acura NSX,
• 11,200-mile Toyota Supra and 2,800-mile Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo.
March 29-30 at Fort Lauderdale, Florida
• A group of Nissan 300ZX cars and British luxury vehicles from the 1990s and early 2000s
April 11 at Essen, Germany
• 2011 Porsche GT3 RS driven less than 9,300 kilometers
• 1994 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6
• 1985 Renault Rt Turbo driven 29,000 kilometers
• Wiesmann GT
• Several BMW Alpina and M cars
• A selection of Mercedes-Benz AMG performance cars from the late ‘70s through the ‘90s
“From nearly every iteration of the BMW Alpina to the Mercedes-Benz 500 SEC AMG 6.0 Wide Body, Porsche 928 GTS, and the Renault R5 Turbo, the private collection we’ve added to our 2019 calendar has nearly every car youth of the ‘80s and ‘90s dreamed of,” commented Gord Duff, global head of auctions for RM Sotheby’s.
“The ‘80s and ‘90s ‘youngtimers’ are back and here to stay in the world of car collecting, and we’re thrilled to offer this extensive collection on behalf of its enthusiastic owner.
“Truly a young man’s garage, the consignor is ready to distill his collection and share these exciting cars with other like-minded enthusiasts.”
RM Sotheby’s said the sales also will include several cars from American automakers Cadillac and Chevrolet. Details are to be announced at later dates as the various auctions approach.