Follow all of the action and updates on our special Monterey Car Week page.
A Ford GT once owned by wrestler John Cena will roll across the Russo and Steele auction block Saturday night in Monterey, California, it was announced this week.
A news release from the auction company claims that the car is the only example that will not be beleaguered by lawsuits.
“This is the only 2017 Ford GT for sale that is unencumbered by past, present or future lawsuits from Ford,” Bernie Knaus, the president of New Autos Inc., the company selling the car at the auction, said in the release. “This is going to be an exciting one to watch.”
Cena was sued by Ford after he sold the car. The automaker argued he did not wait 24 months as stipulated in his buyer’s contract. Ford is notoriously strict about preventing the special cars from being flipped for a profit, and owners must also agree to give Ford the first chance to buy the supercars back.
Cena settled the suit earlier this year for an undisclosed amount of money. Ford donated the funds to charity.
“There is quite a bit of notoriety swirling around this car,” Knaus said in the release. “We expect it to be quite popular on the block. Whoever buys it will get an incredible car with no legal issues attached since it was already settled.”
Another 2017 Ford GT that has been the focus of its own legal battles will be available at the Mecum auction in Monterey. The car made headlines after it was sold for $1.8 million at the company’s Indianapolis auction in May amid protests from Ford.
The automaker has since sought damages from both Mecum and the car’s second owner, Michael J. Flynn. It is unknown why Ford did not also go after the car’s original owner.