In 1935, to promote the durability and aesthetic appeal of the newly developed material called stainless steel, Ford and Allegheny Ludlum Steel of Pittsburgh worked together to clothe half a dozen 1936 Ford Deluxe sedans with stainless coachwork.
Each of the cars was driven by Allegheny Ludlum executives, logging more than 200,000 miles until the cars were retired in 1946. Of the half-dozen, four are known to still exist.
Ford and Allegheny Ludlum would repeat the process years later, joining to do a pair of 1960 Thunderbirds — again, each driven more than 100,000 miles as a touring showpiece — and, later, a trio of 1967 Lincoln Continental convertibles.
Allegheny Ludlum, now known as Allegheny Technologies, donated one of the ’36 Fords to the Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh, where it is part of the center’s permanent collection.
But the company also retained one of each version and that trio has been consigned as a single consignment to the 13th annual The Auburn Auction scheduled for Labor Day weekend in Auburn, Indiana, by Worldwide Auctioneers.
The three will be sold without reserve, and as a single lot, added Worldwide, which termed the consignment “an extraordinary opportunity to acquire a trio of historic cars.”
“They are extraordinary artifacts from a dynamic era of innovation for the both the steel and automotive industries in America,” Worldwide’s John Kruse said. “After lifetime custodianship, Allegheny Ludlum believe that they deserve to take their place in a significant collection or museum where they can be more widely appreciated in a collector car environment for generations to come, and we are honored to have been entrusted with their sale.”