fbpx

James Bond car: 1972 Mustang Mach 1

James Bond car: 1972 Mustang Mach 1

The Pick of the Day is an example of  ‘the forgotten Mustang’

This week, I had the honor of again judging at the Hilton Head Concours d’ Elegance in Florida, and I also got to do something for which I had never seemed to find time in the past.

At these events, there are usually a number of new car test-drive opportunities, and I signed up to drive a few cars. In addition to new car drives, Hagerty Insurance offered classic driving opportunities through its Driveshare program.

After my test drive in a new Porsche 911, I walked over to the Hagerty booth and stepped into a car I have always wanted to drive: what I consider to be a second-generation Ford Mustang.  I’ve wanted to drive one of these bigger 1971-73 cars because I wondered if it was still a true Mustang, and because James Bond drove a Mach 1 in Diamonds are Forever.

mustang

The Pick of the Day is a 1972 Ford Mustang Mach 1 for sale that, according to the Sherman, Texas, dealer advertising the car on ClassicCars.com, has a straight body with red paint in nice condition.

The Mustang that I drove in Florida car surprised me because of how much fun it was. Yes, it is considerably bigger than the original but it was still a classic Mustang, albeit one with more creature comforts and an updated interior. The performance was intact and the 351 Cleveland V8 engine made the car quite fun in a straight line.

mustang

In a lot of ways, the 1971-73 model is the forgotten Mustang. People did not fall in love with it as they did with the original Mustangs, and the second-generation Chevrolet Camaro tended to overshadow it during those years.

The Mustang could be ordered as a high-performance pony car, and its striking Coke-bottle styling that mixed American and European design concepts has aged well over the years. The 1971-73 Mustangs keep looking better and better.

This Mustang Mach 1 wears BF Goodrich Radial T/A white-letter tires on original Magnum 500 wheels. The correct black-vinyl interior is in nice condition and equipped with the optional center console with floor shifter. The car is said to run and drive well and is ready to show or drive.
mustang

The Mach 1 is equipped with the desirable 351 Cleveland V8, which has been upgraded with an Edelbrock aluminum intake and 4-barrel carburetor. Options include a 3-speed automatic transmission, power steering, power disc brakes, dual exhaust with headers, and Ford 9-inch rear differential.

In the photos with the ad, the Mustang looks exceptionally clean with an undercarriage looking to be in great condition and without evidence of rust.

These Mach 1 models were the end of an era for Ford and represent some of the last high-performance Mustangs the company would build for years. The asking price is $25,500 for a classic Mustang Mach 1 that you can drive every day with a little more comfort than the earlier models.

• G Mann
    November 6, 2019, 2:26 AM

I never forgot that car. Or Jill St John. My favorite Bond movie.

• David Covert
    November 6, 2019, 6:07 AM

The James Bond Mach 1 was a 1971.

• James McIntire
    November 6, 2019, 6:21 AM

I’ve never been a big fan of this era Mustang. Comparing it to the slim, trim ’65 model always reminded me of the sweet sexy prom queen in high school that everyone liked. She grew up, had a half-dozen kids, put on more than a few pounds and now she’s a trailer-park queen with a drinkin’ problem!

• Virgil Jones@James McIntire
      November 10, 2019, 7:56 PM

or…..maybe some guys liked big curvy prom queens?

• brad taylor
    November 6, 2019, 6:30 AM

I’m not a Ford guy at all, but I like these. I also like the price.

In high school, I had a friend who drove a yellow one just like this. He used to like to race the train to the intersection where road crosses train tracks. I was with him a couple of times before I said no more.
    Well, he finally lost that race and that was that. No more car and no more friend.

• LESLIE SMITH
    November 6, 2019, 7:17 AM

THE MUSTANG IN DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER WASNT LIKE THE ONE YOU PICTURED NO SIDE STRIPES NO CLEVELAND NO DUAL EXAST A BASE MODEL 302 NO BLACKED OUT HOOD THE CAR WAS A 71 GET IT RIGHT

• Andy Reid@LESLIE SMITH
      November 6, 2019, 7:34 AM

I know it is not the same spec. I know the spec of the car in what is my second favorite Bond film. I know the car in the film was different and even a different year. In the story I only say that I like these cars because of it’s placement in the film not that it was the same car.
      Here are my Bond credentials. I personally collect Bond memorabilia, I had car number 34 of the 007 edition BMW Z3 cars for years. I own one of the actual
      Rolex Submariner 16800 watches that I bought at auction worn by Timothy Dalton in Licensed to Kill.

Beyond that it is still a cool car and at a good price for a classic Mustang. 🙂

• gray dog@Andy Reid
        November 8, 2019, 12:07 AM

If you are a Bond collector you owe your self a trip through the Furka Pass in Switzerland. Usually closed in the winter.
        google it and you’ll find the connection.