Auction posts 80 percent sell-through and $2.75 million in sales
Bonhams reports that its annual Collectors’ Motorcars and Automobilia Auction at the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum earlier this week produced $2.75 million in sales and an 80 percent sell-through rate.
The company noted “a series of exciting bidding battles erupted for fresh-to-market and barn-find-condition vehicles.”
The top sale of the auction was the $277,760 paid for a 1941 Chrysler Town & Country 9-passenger “barrelback” station wagon.
Also topping $200,000 were a 1931 Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8A 2-door sports coupe with coachwork by Lancefield and a 1913 Marmon Model 48 48hp Speedster.
“One of the sale’s unexpected stars was a car that received substantial interest prior to the auction and then intense interest while on the auction block – the 1950 FIAT-Daniela 750 Zagato-bodied open seat racer,” the auction company said in its post-sale news release.
“Presented in original as-raced condition, the charismatic Italian brought more than three times its estimate when it sold for $106,400.
“Another unexpected example was the single-owner-from-new 1968 Jaguar E-Type Series 1½ 4.2 Roadster ‘project’ that achieved double its low estimate when it was purchased for $52,640.”
Once again, Bonhams did not report a list of the top-10 sales, but we compiled the following from its website:
Top 10 sales, Bonhams at the Simeone 2019
- 1941 Chrysler Town & Country 9-passenger ‘barrelback’ station wagon, $277,760
- 1931 Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8A 2-door sport coupe, $235,200
- 1913 Marmon Model 48 Speedster, $212,800
- 1956 Austin Healey 100M BN2 Le Mans, $140,000
- 1903 Ford Model A, $137,760
- 1928 Lincoln Model L sports phaeton, $134,400
- c. 1950 Fiat-Daniela 750 Testa d’Oro, $106,400
- c. 1904 Pope-Toledo 24hp 4-cylinder rear-entrance tonneau, $100,800
- 1910 Stanley Steamer tourer, $67,200
- 1951 Jaguar XK120 roadster, $54,320
(List based on reported sales on Bonhams website; prices include buyer’s fees.)
On its website, Bonhams also noted that the 1930 Bentley Speed Six sports tourer in the style of Vanden Plas that was on the auction docket sold by private treaty.
Bonhams next collector car auction is scheduled for October 11 at Zoute, Belgium.