What car brand is mentioned in the most music lyrics?

What car brand is mentioned in the most music lyrics?

Did you guess Chevy, as in driving to the levy? If so, you were wrong

“Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.”

— lyrics by Janis Joplin, Michael McClure and Bob Neuwirth

Seems everyone in the collector car world knows those lyrics, but do you know which automotive brands are the most popular with songwriters?

LyricFind, a company that works with more than 5,000 music publishers and specializes in licensed lyrics, has found that Mercedes or Benz is the most-mentioned car brand, included in 4,952 lyrics.

Cadillac is second with 2,022 mentions, followed by Bentley (1,852), Chevrolet/Chevy (1,807), Ferrari/Rari (1,673) and then comes Porsche (1,455), just ahead of Lamborghini/Lambo (1,451).

LyricFind charted references to car brands in music

“Finding music behind the wheel has undergone a minor revolution,” LyricFind said in its news release. “It’s now possible to say your favorite line from your favorite song and have your car stream it immediately.

“Lyrics are making music search and discovery car-friendly, as voice command takes over how we engage with in-auto media and entertainment.

“The search for music will only get more interesting and nuanced as certain types of data are integrated into voice command systems. Soon, you may not even have to have a specific song or line in mind. As search improves, as machine learning and mood data get woven into the mix, it will be possible to use lyric data to find that perfect song for a rainy morning in Boston, or for a summer night’s ride down the 101.

“Your voice will trigger a contextual search that can dig up the sounds you’re looking for.”

• James McIntire
    August 22, 2019, 6:04 AM

Seriously? Is this what we’re coming to? Are we that spoiled as a people that we cannot wait for our favorite song, we have to have it NOW? Whatever happened to turning on our favorite FM station and being happy with whatever came out of the speakers?
    Admittedly I’m old-school, but…

• Andy Stone@James McIntire
      August 22, 2019, 2:14 PM

Thanks Larry. You continue to educate me and make my life easier! As a matter of fact, between you and Dave Kinney, you guys know EVERYTHING I never knew I needed to know… but remain grateful to you both for the continuing education!!!

• Bryan mclellan@Andy Stone
        August 22, 2019, 2:49 PM

I’m calling BS. Sorry. There’s no way that Ferrari or Lamborghini is mentioned in more songs than Ford. I don’t care what your data shows. That doesn’t pass the eye test.

• James Duckett@James McIntire
      August 22, 2019, 2:18 PM

And who in the world had time to count all of those songs?

• Aloyisus Fornortener@James McIntire
      August 22, 2019, 2:40 PM

The wife and I were out with my daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter for a light dinner. I have a flip phone. I do not twitter, tweet, text, face-plant ect….but they all were at the table doing this not paying attention to each other……..and especially not me. I gave them a warning of "I didn’t expect to be at this table void of conversation from all of you. Put down your addictions, turn them off, and speak to one another……..or I’m leaving and you can drive your mother home." They did not comply with my request, so I got up to their dismay and protests of me leaving and did exactly that. I refused to speak to any of them (except the wife….had to) for two months, and only then had my wife verify from them that those electrical leashes that now control them…… will not be in my sight NOR be used at our next gathering….or I will gather them up (the one(s) I can get to)….and destroy them. It has worked so far because my daughter and wife KNOW I’m good at my word. Son-in-law and grand daughter have learned it the hard way.

• Don Franco
    August 22, 2019, 4:41 PM

"The" 101? Puhleeze, that’s L.A. speak. 101 is a long highway, much bigger and more important than L.A.

• Robert Carr
    August 22, 2019, 5:18 PM

I might drive ya to drinkin in my hot rod Lincoln (nowhere on the list) but can’t think of a single lyric with Maybach (which is).

• Ron Warrick@Robert Carr
      August 22, 2019, 9:24 PM

How about car names in song titles? Might be a quite different list.

• Ryan Corman
    August 22, 2019, 6:20 PM

From the content, the list is most heavily skewed towards the cRap/Kardashian crowd. Um, #sad.
    Have we reached the point in our so-called "culture" that forced rhyming vulgarity/obscenity to the accompaniment of computer generated noise and stolen "samples" while glorifying misogyny, drug abuse, and drunken violence is considered music? Oh, wait- that happened so long ago it should be played by now. Sigh. Is noise without the benefit of musicians really even music?
    Oh, can the racist label. Gots plenty of roots, Memphis, ‘n’ Chicago blues, Herbie Hancock/Prince/Bootsy Collins (look him up, child of the ’70’s I am…) and Parliament/George Clinton- as well as Ohio Players, Lionel Richie/Commodores, and Billie, ‘reatha, Gladys… child of the ’70’s, yessss, precious… on my phone, my home systems, and in yon car (a 2004 GTO with Kicker & Pioneer on board, don’t need a dorky warning window sticker).
    Would love to see this list with the cRap excluded. No GTO? Lil Deuce? Sally & her ‘Stang? #tragic.
    From the Mothership.
    -R

• Dan Zimmerman
    August 22, 2019, 6:22 PM

What about movie/tv appearances. My Jeep Grand Wagoneer seem to show up in the most unlikely clips. It might be in a slasher flick considering that 360 has trouble getting out of its own way. It co started with a Pontiac Aztec on Breaking Bad. The waggie is a star!!

• Thomas Holden@Dan Zimmerman
      August 22, 2019, 9:45 PM

Mustang Sally, all time big hit, hey little cobra don’t you know your going to cut him down, hot rod lincoln, little red corvette,. 409 the beach boys, gto ronnyand the daytonas