Mecum Auctions’ sixth annual Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, sale scored a 30 percent growth rate over last year’s auction, with total sales of $31.1 million and a sell-through of 70 percent of the 1,301 collector cars crossing the block.
The top-10 sellers list was made up almost entirely of vintage race cars from the Todd Werner Collection, led by the $429,000 sale of the historic 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Sox & Martin drag car, which was the 1970 AHRA GT1 world champion for 1970.
Close behind was another Mopar star, Richard Petty’s 1971 Plymouth Road Runner, the NASCAR Grand National Champion that year, which sold for $412,500. All sales totals include auction fees.
The auction was highlighted by a dozen valuable collections, with 95 percent of the 43 Werner cars sold. All of the cars from the Skook Collection, Jerry Lyndon Corvette Collection, Champion Auto Collection and the Special Early Bird Offering went to new owners, with combined sales reaching into the millions.
Other significant sales includes a supercharged 2005 Ford GT that went for $324,500 a SAAC Concours Division-winning 1967 Sheby GT500 fastback hitting $275,000.
The Road Art automobilia offerings, which numbered more than 1,000 pieces, reached nearly $1.5 million. A Wayne 491-F Greek Roman Column 5-gallon gas pump was top seller at $29,500, followed by an 11-foot Ford dealership double-sided porcelain sign from the 1940s or ’50s that sold for $28,320.
The top 10 highest sellers for the Mecum Harrisburg sale were:
1. 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Sox & Martin drag car at $429,000
2. 1971 Plymouth Road Runner Richard Petty NASCAR at $412,500
3. 2005 Ford GT at $324,500
4. 1967 Shelby GT500 fastback at $275,000
5. 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro at $258,500
6. 1965 Plymouth Belvedere A/FX Sox & Martin “Paper Tiger Too” at $220,000
7. 1968 Plymouth Barracuda B029 Sox & Martin “Boycott” at $220,000
8. 1964 Dodge 330 Hemi-Charger Dick Landy A/FX at $220,000
9. 1968 Dodge Dart LO23 Dick Landy Super Stock at $220,000
10. 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda at $214,500
(All results include auction fees.)
Mecum’s next sale will be the Daytime Auction in Monterey, California, on August 15-17 at the Del Monte Golf Course, Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa in Monterey. For more information, visit the auction website.