C8 Corvette’s first year of production ‘nearly sold out’

C8 Corvette’s first year of production ‘nearly sold out’

GM design chief says Stingray orders are close to capacity

Anyone concerned that Chevy might have made a mistake by turning the Corvette into a mid-engine car with the arrival of the C8 generation shouldn’t be, at least as far as sales are concerned.

Chevy presented the new 2020 Corvette to the public for the first time Saturday at the 2019 Concours d’Elegance of America in Plymouth, Michigan, where a number of the car’s designers, including General Motors design chief Michael Simcoe, were on hand.

Simcoe revealed to Autoblog during the event that the C8’s first year of production was close to being sold out, without mentioning any numbers.

“I think the orders have already hit the first year of production numbers,” he said. “It’s nearly sold out. It’s so close that it’s bound to be sold out soon.”

Chevy started accepting orders for the new Corvette following the car’s July 18 reveal, so the pace of sales has been nothing short of dramatic, though it’s easy to see why. The car offers performance and technology surpassing many exotic models for a starting price of less than $60,000.

Chevrolet spokesman Kevin Kelly told Motor Authority, “The level of enthusiasm around the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray has surpassed all expectations. We have nothing to report in terms of reservations or order numbers at this time.”

Chevy’s last C7 Corvette hit sales of just under 35,000 in the United States in its first year on the market. Given Chevy’s global ambitions with the new Corvette, sales could be substantially higher. In preparation for the car’s arrival, Chevy expanded the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and added a second shift.

This article was originally published by Motor Authority, an editorial partner of ClassicCars.com.

• thomas jandre
    July 31, 2019, 4:01 AM

looking forward to your info on different cars. Tom

• Norman Spirit
    July 31, 2019, 2:56 PM

My Dad had a Cadillac XLR. Nice car, but it was the most impractical GT car ever. When the top was down it had ZERO trunk space. My ’06 C6 manual top would take a duffel behind the seats, a suitcase and two duffels in the trunk.

My C7, which sadly was only available with a power top reduced that to two duffels in the trunk.

The C8 now has what they describe as "room for a rollie suitcase" in front and room for some kind of duffel in the rear behind the motor. I also hear that the hardtop/T top version will have a factory available set of "fitted luggage". Nice. I wonder what the "convertible" version will do? Where’s the convertible top going to go? Corvette has done its best to make the C8 another XLR. I have news for the designers: some of us ACTUALLY TRAVEL in our Corvettes.

Corvette has released the C8

• Ted Petine
    July 31, 2019, 3:45 PM

The first year of a transition the vette looks beautiful too many bugs too iron out, the italians are way ahead of us it’s about time we produced the mid engine GM good luck to all new purchasers.

• Norman Spirit@Ted Petine
      August 3, 2019, 3:36 PM

Ted Petine, who says there are ANY "bugs"? The C6 and C7 were in no way the same car but there weren’t any "bugs". Do you know something we don’t?

• Steve Wilbur
    July 31, 2019, 6:06 PM

I’m betting quite a few of these ‘Vettes will never set a tire on the road. They’ll be stored away with the owners hoping for a big pay day many years from now.

• Mike Paull
    August 1, 2019, 9:36 AM

Serious question. Does anyone know how much the Chevy dealers are "gouging" or as that say, "up-charging" for this new Vette?

• stephen smith@Mike Paull
      August 4, 2019, 10:41 AM

Dealers I have spoken to are taking refundable reservations. No markup. On;y issue is that the LT upgrades are not priced yet. Base model is $59K. Ifthe LT versions are similar to the C7, the 2LT and 3LT should be in the $68K range. My local dealer has my $500 refundable reservation fee

• Dathan Wilson @Mike Paull
      August 4, 2019, 12:32 PM

As a Chevy Dealer for 30+ years I’ve never asked over MSRP for “NEW”
      Model product
      I believe some buyers start the “gold rush” experience themselves to justify their purchase… Just Saying….

• Mike Paull@Dathan Wilson
        August 5, 2019, 9:56 AM

Dathan, Funny how nobody admits this happens or that they ever did it. But it happens all the time. Back in the 80’s & 90’s Honda and Toyota wouldn’t negotiate at all. The first time I experienced it was when the new 4 door Tahoe came out. Literally every Chevy dealer I checked (26 in total) was up-charging an average of $5,000 (and that was in ’95!) I even checked out-of-state dealers. Only 2 dealers said they would drop the up charge but only if I paid cash. I did eventually purchase one but it was months after the dust settled and I got a fair deal. I think some dealers do that so you "think" you got a great deal when you paid list price for it. I don’t quite understand your "gold rush" comment. Kinda sounds like you know all about the price gouging and are blaming it on the consumer.