A pair of multi-million-dollar Shelby Cobras topped Mecum Auction’s 32nd Original Spring Classic collector car sale, which set an all-time-high total of $70.4 million last week in Indianapolis.
The best-selling roadsters, both from the acclaimed Steven Juliano estate collection, were a 1967 Shelby 427 S/C Cobra that sold for $2.86 million, followed by a 1966 Shelby 427 Cobra that hit $2.42 million (all results include auction fees).
Four other auction cars also soared into the seven figures among the 1,189 vehicles sold. The third-highest seller was a modern exotic, a 2015 Porsche 918 Spyder Weissach at $1.98 million, while a 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda convertible tied at $1.98 million. Next came another Shelby Cobra, a 1964 289 roadster, for $1.76 million, and a 1971 Plymouth Cuda convertible at $1.55 million.
A pre-war motorcycle made a rare appearance among the top-10 collector vehicles, a 1940 Crocker “Big Tank” Big Twin, which sold for $550,000 to claim the No. 9 spot.
The auction’s top sales were dominated by the Cobras and Mopar muscle cars from the Juliano collection. Display engines from the collection also did well, including two Hemi V8s and a 440cid 6-barrel selling between $159,300 and $218,500.
The Road Art automobilia sales realized strong results overall, according to Mecum.
Top 10 sales, Mecum Indianapolis 2019
1. 1967 Shelby 427 S/C Cobra Roadster (Lot F128) at $2,860,000
2. 1966 Shelby 427 Cobra Roadster (Lot F136) at $2,420,000
3. 2015 Porsche 918 Spyder Weissach (Lot S155) at $1,980,000
4. 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Convertible (Lot F120) at $1,980,000
5. 1964 Shelby 289 Cobra Roadster (Lot F132) at $1,760,000
6. 1971 Plymouth Cuda Convertible (Lot F142) at $1,155,000
7. 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T Sunroof (Lot F143) at $660,000
8. 1969 Dodge Hemi Daytona (Lot F177) at $577,500
9. 1940 Crocker ‘Big Tank’ Big Twin (Lot S124.1) at $550,000
10. 2016 Norwood 330 P4 Replica (Lot S252) at $467,500
(Result include auction fees)
Mecum’s next auction is scheduled for June 21-22 at Portland, Oregon, where 600 collector cars, trucks and motorcycles are expected.