’76 Olds 442 driven less than 11,000 miles

’76 Olds 442 driven less than 11,000 miles

Pick of the Day is an Oldsmobile hardtop fastback coupe

Low-mileage vehicles in excellent original condition are being bid to big numbers at collector car auctions, and the Pick of the Day appears to be just such a vehicle, though none of its own numbers are very large.

The vehicle is a 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S 442, a Colonnade (Olds’ term for hardtop) fastback coupe, offered for sale on ClassicCars.com by only its second owner. Between them, they’ve driven this V8-powered coupe only 10,537 miles.

It’s being sold now, the seller says, because of retirement and impending travel in a recreation vehicle.  The asking price is only $19,500.

“First owner had this vehicle garage protected for 40 years,” the seller reports. “I’m the second owner and also have kept this vehicle in the garage.

“It was originally sold in Knoxville (Rice Oldsmobile dealership logo still on back), TN and never left! (The car is located in Strawberry Plains, just northeast of Knoxville). It still had the original tires on it when I purchased it a few years ago and I still have them, although I put new radials on it a couple years ago.”

Although the car now rides on the new BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires, “I also have the original Uniroyal (steel belted radial) tires, a collectible in their own right.”

The seller says the car runs and drives like new, is rust free, blows cold factory air conditioning, the heater works, it has power steering and new brakes.

“Only blemish on entire car is a small paint chip behind left rear window,” the seller adds.

The car is powered by its original 350cid V8 engine topped by a four-barrel carburetor and linked to an automatic transmission.

• Jim A
    March 4, 2019, 3:56 AM

Chevrolet had the Laguna, Pontiac had the Can Am and can’t recall what Buicks special edition was. The Laguna had swivel out bucket seats which IMO was a nice feature and don’t recall if it was offered on other makes.

• Elvin Watkins
    March 4, 2019, 7:33 AM

Why, if this is a true low mile car ( 11.000 ) would car need brakes? Thank you for more proof. Elvin

• Dan Gurney@Elvin Watkins
      March 4, 2019, 11:39 AM

Calipers and pads can become clogged with brake fluid that hasn’t been used for years let alone changed. Brake fluidcan absorb moisture caused by heat (application) and if it sits for a while (over 40 years ! ! LOL ! ! ). I’ll bet the rotors were turned, and new calipers and pads and fresh brake fluid (after a thorough flushing of the brake lines (I would have changed those, also) to all four corners.

Elvin ? You’re not one of those guys who sez: "Hold my beer – – -hey y’all…..watch this ! I’m gonna drive this car fast that hasn’t had a brake application in over 50 years ! ! "

• Jim A@Elvin Watkins
      March 4, 2019, 11:51 AM

I believe I’ve addressed this before about old low mileage cars. When a vehicle is not driven regularly seals gaskets and rubber components shrink and dry out. Brake pistons may become stuck or leak as with transmission and engine parts.
      I don’t drool over ultra low mileage cars. So be prepared to dig deep replacing things.

• JOE BOCHENEK
    March 4, 2019, 7:35 AM

NICE CAR BUT NOT VERY DESIRABLE , NO REAL MUSCLE , THE 1972 & EARLIER WERE THE TRUE MUSCLE CARS, THIS 1 IS ALL SHOW & NO GO BUT IT IS NOSTALGIA

• David Aseng@JOE BOCHENEK
      March 4, 2019, 8:11 AM

New air cleaner and dual exhaust should unleach some muscles.

• Jim A@JOE BOCHENEK
      March 4, 2019, 1:16 PM

This isn’t the German Autobahn the speed limit is 55, 65, etc…

• Bruce Boaze
    March 4, 2019, 5:46 PM

I wouldn’t want to drive such a gutless vehicle that much. Saab Turbos were out about that time.

• William Decker
    March 6, 2019, 5:17 AM

An Olds in beautiful condition, These mid size G.M.s were a staple of mid 70’s America. Owned some & have a lot of memories of others. No, they weren’t the muscle cars of the 60’s & weren’t meant to be. Some of us knew then those days were never coming back then. Still, a fine example (always favored red or white interior in these) not outrageously priced.

• David Stewart@William Decker
      March 9, 2019, 4:55 AM

I love the 76 77 the 78 79 were so ugly these were when cal yarborough fight allies wreck when I was a kid I seen these lines up at dealer all different color being a 10 year old wow my dad was 4 door cutlass supreme pillow seats my family always had olds my dad had blue 4 door 77 my uncles had black on black 75 and the other uncle had white on white 75 my brother had 77 sky blue and white 442 blue dash white seats blue floor it was wrecked with 18 thousands miles and I seat in it and dream of driving it for hours inn garage ended up with 4 door pillow seats well me and my cuz always had cutlasses always 73 on up never had big 455 always had 350