Bonhams Paris 2014 at a glance
|Total sales||$23.1 million|
150 lots of automobilia
|Sell-through rate||71 percent|
|High sale||$2.99 million
1968 Ferrari 2785 GTB/4 Berlinetta
|Next 9 price range||$419,019 to $2.17 million|
|Next auction||March 8, Oxford, UK (classic cars)
April 27, Stafford, UK (vintage motorcycles)
Held during Retromobile, Europe’s big winter-time celebration of classic cars, Bonhams’ Grand Palais auction posted $23.1 million in sales with more than 100 cars, many motorcycles and an array of automobilia going to new owners.
Perhaps the most spirited and lengthy bidding of the event produced the second-most expensive sale with hundreds of spectators applauding the bidding battle for a 1929 Bugatti Type 35B Grand Prix racer formerly owned by Jack Lemon Burton and Lady Mary Grosvenor.
The car was sold — for $2.17 million — to a bidder who had traveled to Paris from Asia.
The next car available was a 1968 Ferrari 275GTB/4 Berlinetta when sold for record $2.99 million (225,000 euros).
In another lengthy bidding session — perhaps because it was a French car being sold in France — a 1947 Delage D6 3-liter Competition Grand Prix/Sport racer eventually sold for $1.47 million.
Two Aston Martins were among the top-10 sales — a left-hand driven 1962 DB4GT going for nearly $1.6 million — more than double its pre-auction estimate — and a Goldfinger-style 1965 DB5 bringing $1.04 million.
In another highlight, a “barn find” 1962 Facel Vega II coupe which had been kept in storage in the United States for 40 years, sold at the Paris sale for $209,500.
An early highlight in the auction was the sale to benefit charity of a Harley-Davidson owned by Pope Francis.
Top-10 sales | Bonhams Paris (prices including commission)
- 1968 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 Berlinetta, $2,993,640
- 1929 Bugatti Type 35B Grand Prix deux places, $2,172,695
- 1962 Aston Martin DB4GT (Series IV) coupe, $1,598,482
- 1947 Delage D6 3-liter Competition Grand Prix Sports biplace, $1,474,328
- 1965 Aston Martin DB5, $1,047,549
- 1958 Mercedes-Benz 300SL roadster, $962,193
- 1939 Lagonda V12 drophead coupe, $682,847
- 1984 Ferrari 126 C4 M2 Formule One (Alboreto) racer, $651,808
- 1989 Porsche 911 Speedster, $419,019
- 1966 Citroen DS21 “Le Caddy” cabriolet, $419,019