While folks were bidding on collector cars a week ago in Arizona, others were at South Point in Las Vegas for Mecum’s 31st annual Vintage & Antique Motorcycle Auction, where sales totaled $22 million, a reported 21 percent increase over the 2021 auction.
The sale posted a 93 percent sell-through as 1,221 of the 1,310 motorcycles on the docket went to new owners, Mecum Auctions adds.
Mecum also notes that all of the top-10 sellers hammered for 6-figure prices, led by a 1938 Brough Superior SS110 that sold for $236,500 (sales prices include buyers fee).
“The iconic motorcycle boasted a professional restoration and resulting awards, including People’s Choice from the San Jose Clubman Show and Best of Show at El Camino,” Mecum said.
Also selling for $200,000 or more were a 1951 Vincent Black Shadow Series C, a 1917 Henderson Model G Four Cylinder, and a 1936 Harley-Davidson EL Knucklehead.
The docket featured bikes from several private collections, with the so-called Harley-Davidson Heritage Collection bringing $4.1 million and the 14-bike Bob & Dolva Mitchell Collection going for $1.3 million.
Road Art contributed more than $550,000 to the auction sales with a life-size bronze by Jeff Decker selling for $88,500 and another of his works bringing $67,260.
Top-10 sales, Mecum Las Vegas motorcycles 2022
- 1938 Brough Superior SS100, $236,500
- 1951 Vincent Series C Black Shadow, $231,000
- 1917 Henderson Model G Four Cylinder, $203,500
- 1936 Harley-Davidson EL Knucklehead, $203,500
- 1919 Harley-Davidson J Twin, $165,000
- 1939 Indian Four Cylinder, $159,500
- 1941 Harley-Davidson TA Knucklehead, $154,000
- 1932 Indian Four Cylinder, $154,000
- 1940 Indian Four Cylinder, $154,000
- 1931 Henderson Four Cylinder, $154,000
(Prices include buyer’s fee.)
Mecum Auctions next sales are its collector car event March 16-19 at Glendale, Arizona, and the Spring Classic tractors ’n’ trucks event by its Gone Farmin’ division March 24-26 at East Moline, Illinois, where the docket features Mecum’s sixth Premier Truck Auction with 150 vintage trucks.