Mecum staged a barnburner in the heartland with its recent Kansas City collector car auction, which achieved an all-time sales record of $19.2 million, far exceeding the previous Kansas City high of $13 million. The recent sale also featured an 85 percent sales sell-through rate.
The Kansas City sale, which offered 709 vehicles, was the final auction of Mecum’s busy 2021, during which several other total-auction-result records were beaten.
Leading the KC auction was a three-way tie between a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 427 convertible and 2021 Ford F150 Shelby pickup, each of which sold for $148,500. All results include auction fees.
Next highest auction star was a 1968 Ford Mustang fastback that replicates the one driven by Steve McQueen in the detective film Bullitt.
Besides the Shelby F150, two other Ford trucks made it into the top-selling vehicles, a 1949 Ford F6 COE (cab over engine) that sold for $115,500 and a 1963 Ford F100 pickup, which went for $106,700.
And two other Shelbys are represented among the auction’s highest sellers, a vintage 1968 GT500 fastback for $121,000 and a modern 2020 GT500 at $105,600.
The top-10 highest-selling collector vehicle sales at the Kansas City auction were:
1. 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 at $148,500
2. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 427 convertible at $148,500
3. 2021 Ford F150 Shelby pickup at $148,500
4. 1968 Ford Mustang ‘Bullitt’ fastback at $137,500
5. 1959 Chevrolet Impala custom at $132,000
6. 1968 Shelby GT500 fastback at $121,000
7. 1949 Ford F6 COE at $115,500
8. 1956 Chevrolet Corvette convertible at $110,000
9. 1963 Ford F100 pickup at $106,700
10. 2020 Ford Shelby GT500 at $105,600
(All results include auction fees.)
Mecum starts 2022 with its Kissimmee, Florida, auction that the company claims is the largest in the world with more than 3,500 vehicles to be offered. The sale is scheduled for January 6-16 at the Osceola Heritage Park grounds.
For more information, visit the Mecum website.