Bonhams’ online collector car auction held in conjunction with the Greenwich Concours d’Elegance in Connecticut scored a 96 percent sell-through rate and $4.3 million in total sales. All results include buyer fees.
A restored 1966 Aston Martin DB6 Vantage Sport Saloon with matching numbers led the sale with a $500,000 result, nearly double its pre-auction estimated value. Of the top-10 cars sold, eight exceeded their estimated values, Bonhams said in a news release.
The five-day digital auction offered 43 collector cars representing mainly European luxury marques via Bonhams.com and the Bonhams app.
“This was a sale that exceeded expectations,” Eric Minoff, senior specialist and head of sale for Bonhams US Motor Cars, said in the auction release. “There was worldwide interest from bidders and buyers across the globe, with intense bidding on across the board, leading to these strong results.”
Among the cars hitting sales figures above pre-auction estimates were a 6,000-mile 2008 Porsche GT3RS Coupe, which achieved $313,000, and a 1978 Aston Martin V8 Vantage “Molded Fliptail” Coupe, one of only 11 US-specification examples, which made $246,400. Both cars beat their estimates by nearly $100,000.
The online auction also offered 10 motorcycles, from such brands as Triumph, BSA and Harley-Davidson, all of which sold. The automobilia section also achieved a 100 percent sales rate.
The top-10 highest-selling auction cars were:
1. 1966 Aston Martin DB6 Vantage Sport Saloon, at $500,000
2. 2008 Porsche GT3RS Coupe, at $313,000
3. 1978 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, at $246,400.
4. 1960 Aston Martin DB2/4 MkIII, at $224,000
5. 1965 Bentley S3 Continental Flying Spur, $201,600
6. 1957 Aston Martin DB2/4 saloon, at $179,200
7. 1958 Jaguar XK140S roadster, $179,200
8. 1966 Aston Martin DB6 saloon, $168,000
9. 1961 Bentley S2 Continental Flying Spur by Mulliner, at $156,800
10. 1989 Aston Martin Lagonda Series IV saloon, at $145,600
(All results include auction fees)
Bonhams US Motor Cars will hold the Scottsdale Auction, its first live auction of 2022, on January 27. For information, see the Bonhams website.