A Ferrari Dino 246/60 Formula 1 single-seater re-creation and a classic 1920s Maserati grand prix race car tied for highest-sale honors during Bonhams’ auction July 9 at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in Chichester, UK.
The 2.4-liter Ferrari Dino that was built specifically for historic racing in the 1954-60 GP class, in which it often has competed, and the restored 1928 Maserati Tipo 26B GP 2-seat racer, powered by a supercharged straight-8 engine, each sold for £967,000 ($1,339,357).
Ferraris of various vintages filled the next three top-10 spots: a low-mileage 1990 Ferrari F40 Berlinetta, notably the final car to be approved by Enzo Ferrari, sold for £883,000 ($1,223,012); a 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta with coachwork by Ellena, that went for £514,166 ($712,154); and a 2005 Ferrari 575M Superamerica, a rare right-hand-drive example, that reached £379,500 ($525,632).
The much-touted featured car at the Bonhams auction, a 1972 Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 TT3 3-liter racing sports-prototype, the last Alfa Romeo to race in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, was a no-sale.
Other highlights from the auction were:
• 1962 Aston Martin DB4 Series IV Vantage sports saloon, offered from long-term family ownership of 50 years, selling for £327,750 ($454,686).
• 2007 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 722 Edition coupe sold for above its top estimate, hitting £287,500 ($398,847).
• 1970 Aston Martin DB6 Mk2 Vantage sports saloon also sold for above its top estimate, making £258,750 ($358,962).
In the automobilia sale preceding the motor car auction, a Porsche 917 junior child’s car raced past its top estimate to make £24,000 ($33,300), and an ex-Ayrton Senna steering-wheel doubled its pre-sale estimate, selling for £10,200 ($14,150).
The top-10 sales at the Bonhams Goodwood Festival sale (in US dollars) were:
1. 1928 Maserati Tipo 26B GP racer, $1,339,357
1. Ferrari Dino 246/60 F1 re-creation, $1,339,357
2. 1990 Ferrari F40 Berlinetta, $1,223,012
3. 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta, $712,154
4. 2005 Ferrari 575M Superamerica, $525,632
5. 1962 Aston Martin DB4 Series IV Vantage, $453,995
6. 2007 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 722 Edition, $398,206
7. 1970 Aston Martin DB6 Mk 2 Vantage, $358,385
8. 1936 Riley 1 1/2-Liter TT Sprite competition sports, $286,708
9. 1972 Maserati Ghibli SS 4.9-liter, $222,995
(Prices include buyer’s fee.)
Bonhams returns to Carmel, California, on August 13 for the annual Quail Lodge Auction, which takes place during Monterey Car Week. For information, visit the Bonhams website.