The Petersen Automotive Museum has announced the schedule for Petersen Car Week, its virtual version of Monterey Car Week, the in-person event canceled this year by the coronavirus pandemic.
Here’s the schedule, with events to be webcast on the Petersen’s YouTube channel (all times are Pacific):August 12, 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. — McCall’s Motorworks Revival; vehicle debuts by GMS and Gunther Werks; debut videos by Donut Media, The Torque Show and Top Gear BBC; live Bring a Trailer auction.
- August 12, 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. — McCall’s Motorworks Revival; vehicle debuts by GMS and Gunther Werks; debut videos by Donut Media, The Torque Show and Top Gear BBC; live Bring a Trailer auction.
- August 13, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Unveiling of T.50 supercar by Gordon Murray Design; Future Collector Car Show hosted by ClassicCars.com; Corvette C8 presentation featuring chief engineer Tadge Juechter.
- August 14, 8 a.m. to 5:10 p.m. — Virtual cars shows by The Quail: A Motorsports Gathering, Legends of the Autobahn and the Porsche Owners Club of America; walkarounds of the Koenigsegg Gemera and BMW M8; garage/factory tours of RUF and HRE Wheels.
- August 15, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. — Virtual Concorso Italiano and Exotics on Broadway shows; motorsports history celebration featuring Sonoma Speed Festival and WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca.
- August 16, 6 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. — Petersen Concours d’Elegance with multiple classes, including Ferrari Grand Touring, Movies and TV, Shooting Brake, etc.’ unveiling of new Ford GT variant; garage tours with Peter Mullin, Dennis Varni, David Lee and Barris Kustoms.
Goodguys postpone 5 events until 2021
The Goodguys Rod & Custom Association has announced that because of health risks and the need for secure state and local approvals, it is postponing five events until 2021.
- North Carolina Nationals, reset for April 23-25, 2021, at Raleigh, North Carolina
- Great American Nationals, reset for August 20-21, 2021, at York, Pennsylvania
- West Coast Nationals, reset for August 27-29, 2021, at Pleasanton, California
- Nashville Nationals, reset for June 11-13, 2021, at Nashville, Tennessee
- Colorado Nationals, reset for September 10-12, 2021, at Loveland, Colorado
It will be a Jagstravaganza!
In light of the coronavirus pandemic, the Jaguar Owners Club of Los Angeles and the Inland Empire Jaguar Club are combining efforts to stage the Double Duty Jagstravaganza Concours on October 2-4 at Idyllwild, California, the mountaintop village above Palm Springs.
The program will feature separate concours on Saturday and Sunday.
SEMA shares precautions for 2020 Vegas visit
SEMA plans to proceed with its 2020 showcase November 3-6 in Las Vegas. The aftermarket automotive product trade association reports that 1,800 companies plan to exhibit their wares at the show, and SEMA has announced show safety precautions for the event:
- Require use of face masks or face shields, frequent hand washing and social distancing.
- Designate entrance and exit areas to control and screen visitors with discrete daily health queries, incorporating non-invasive thermal cameras, etc.
- Traffic flow with one-way aisles where possible.
- Hand sanitizing stations throughout the Show, every 200 feet.
- Enhance physical cleaning with hourly sanitizing of high-traffic areas throughout the Show floor and common areas, including doorways, elevators and escalators.
- Collaborate with Las Vegas Convention Center in their advancements to be among the first in the nation to pursue certification for safety measures aimed at outbreak prevention through actions, such as sanitizing the facility nightly.
For additional information, visit the SEMA website.
CES goes digital for 2021
Although it’s known as the Consumer Electronics Show, CES has become a major international auto show, with automakers unveiling cars and concepts, and their latest electronic gizmos. But in January 2021, the show won’t take place in Las Vegas but will become an all-digital experience.
PS: This does not bode well for the SEMA Show taking place in the same venue a couple of months earlier. In fact, SEMA recently polled members about the possibility of staging the SEMA Show out of doors in Las Vegas or online instead of in person.
“Amid the pandemic and growing global health concerns about the spread of COVID-19, it’s just not possible to safely convene tens of thousands of people in Las Vegas in early January 2021 to meet and do business in person,” said Gary Shapiro, president and chief executive of the Consumer Technology Association.
“Technology helps us all work, learn and connect during the pandemic — and that innovation will also help us reimagine CES 2021 and bring together the tech community in a meaningful way. By shifting to an all-digital platform for 2021, we can deliver a unique experience that helps our exhibitors connect with existing and new audiences.”
More results from Concours Virtual
Organizers of Concours Virtual continue to trickle out the judges’ decisions. Here are the latest winners:
Class F: The Golden Age of Detroit 1949-1964 — 1949 Cadillac 62 Club Coupe owned by Loren Hulber
Class G: Concept Cars of the ‘70s — 1970 Lancia Stratos Zero
Ares Design plans unveilings at Salon Prive
Ares Design, the Modena-based workshop that recently won a suit against Ferrari over the design of the famed 250 GTO, plans to unveil four vehicles September 23-26 at Salon Prive at Blenheim Palace in England.
The vehicles are the Panther ProgettoUnio, a supercar based on the 1970s DeTomaso Pantera and the first in the company’s Legends Reborn series, the Ares take on the Bentley Mulsanne coupe, and the Ares Cafe Racer and Scrambler motorcycles.
London Motor Show sets 2021 comeback
The London Motor Show has announced its 2021 dates (July 16-18) at the Evolution London in Battersea Park, and will focus on “technology, innovation, electric and hybrid vehicles, luxury brands, classics and city cars,” it said in its news release.
Organizers also announced “a close association with international superstar DJ Carl Cox and his motorsport team.”
“Having an association with Carl and the team is amazing,” show chairman Alec Mumford was quoted in the news release. “Aside from his legendary status behind the decks, he is also a petrol head through and through. He’ll be bringing a selection of his vehicles as well as showcasing Carl Cox Motorsport which participates strongly in drag, side car, motor vehicle and motorbike racing.
“Carl himself is a first-class driver and a rider having clocked up an eye watering 235mph earlier this year in New Zealand.”
Fall car-show calendar
Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the fall car-show and concours calendar continues to evolve. Here’s the updated schedule, based on official announcements but subject to change, as of July 28, 2020:
August 8-16 — Carlisle Import & Performance Nationals, Woodward Dream Show (Pontiac, Michigan), Street Rod Nationals Southeast (Kentucky), New Hope car show (Pennsylvania), Indy 500 Corvette pace car homecoming
August 19-20 — London Concours
August 21-23 — Morgan Adams Concours d’Elegance (Colorado), Geneva (Illinois) Concours d’Elegance, Street Rod Route 66 Nationals (New Mexico), AACA Grand Nationals (Pennsylvania), Arthritis Foundation car show (Dublin, Ohi0)
August 27-30 — Corvettes at Carlisle, Fountain Valley (California), Artmobilia Weekend (Carmel, Indiana)
September 4-7 (Labor Day weekend) — Greenbrier Concours d’Elegance, Lime Rock Historic Festival, Groesbeck Grand Prix Festival of Motoring (Texas), Crescent Beach Concours d’Elegance, Foothills Motoring Festival (Pinehurst, North Carolina), Royal Concours of Elegance (England)
September 11-13 — AAA Glidden Tour (Sarasota Springs, New York), Vail Classic, Wisconsin Dells Automotion
September 18-20 — New York City Concours, LaJolla Concours d’Elegance, Street Rod Nationals Northeast (Vermont), Arizona FuelFest, Balfour Car Show (Denver)
September 25-27 — Salon Prive (England), Telluride Festival, Ironstone Concours d’Elegance (California), St. Michaels Concours d’Elegance (Maryland), Goodguys Lone Star Nationals (Texas), Catskill Conquest Rally (New York)
October 2-4 — Fall Carlisle, Street Rod Nationals South (Knoxville, Tennessee), Goodguys Del Mar Nationals (California), Jagstravaganza Concours (California)
October 9-11 — Zoute Grand Prix and Concours (Belgium), AACA Eastern Fall Nationals (car show only), Chico Concours d’Elegance (California)
October 16-18 — Goodwood Speed Week, Keels & Wheels, Lake Mirror Concours d’Elegance (Florida), Mid-American Street Rod Nationals (Missouri)
October 19-23 — AACA Central Divisional Tour (Oklahoma)
October 23-25 — Japanese Classic (Long Beach, California), Charlotte Auto Fair
October 30-November 1 — Copperstate 1000 vintage rally car show, Western Street Rod Nationals (Bakersfield, California), Luftgekuhlt 7 (Durham, North Carolina)
To share news of your local car shows and cruises, email firstname.lastname@example.org.