Barrett-Jackson has canceled its 5th annual Northeast Auction, scheduled for June 24-27 at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut, because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The auction company said the decision was due to the uncertainty of live events being permitted by local and state officials.
Full refunds for ticket holders will be available, according to a Barrett-Jackson news release. Details for refunds will be communicated directly to ticket holders.
“We spent a great deal of time consulting with local public health and government officials,” said Craig Jackson, chairman and chief executive of Barrett-Jackson. “The team at Mohegan Sun has also been a tremendous resource for us throughout this process.
“However, it became clear there is simply too much uncertainty about hosting a multi-day live event during this public health crisis. Given the incredible amount of work and time that goes into producing a Barrett-Jackson event, it unfortunately is not feasible for us to move forward in Connecticut.”
The Barrett-Jackson cancellation comes as a spate of car events have been canceled or postponed to later this year as the world struggles with the deadly coronavirus.
Three more auction events are scheduled by Barrett-Jackson for the remainder of 2020, including its newly founded Online Only May 2020 Auction to be held May 8-17.
The live Las Vegas Auction remains on the schedule for September 10-12 at Mandalay Bay Casino and Resort, and the live Palm Beach Auction, which was rescheduled earlier this year for October 15-17, is still set to take place.
Barrett-Jackson said there could be a coming announcement regarding a summer auction.