One of the things I anticipate about the arrival of Magneto, the relatively new quarterly magazine from England, is the editors’ top-50 rankings.
The inaugural issue offered a list of the 50 most-influential people in the collector car world.
Issue No. 5 has just arrived and, albeit written from a British perspective, the newest top-50 listing, “The Top 50 Greatest Events in the World,” is certain to ignite some discussion.
Because of the British bias (including 3 of the events the editors rank among the world’s top-5), I’m not going to share the entire list (except to say that the Goodwood Revival was No. 1). However, I am going to share how events in North America were rated, and I’d be curious to know if you agree:
49. Arizona Auction Week
40. Hershey Fall Meet
39. LaJolla Concours d’Elegance
37. Greenwich Concours d’Elegance
32. Cavallino Classic
31. Daytona Classic (races)
28. The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering
27. Colorado Grand (vintage rally)
23. La Carrera Panamericana
21. Audrain’s Newport Concours and Motor Week
12. Monterey Motorsports Reunion
10. Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance
9. Bonneville Speed Week
2. Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance
Or, another way of looking at the list:
1. Pebble Beach, 2. Bonneville, 3. Amelia Island, 4. Monterey Motorsports Reunion, 5. Audrian Newport concours, 6. La Carrera, 7. Colorado Grand, 8. The Quail, 9. Daytona vintage, 10. Cavallino Classic, 11. Luftgektuhlt, 12. Greenwich, 13. LaJolla, 14. Hershey, 15. Arizona Auction Week.
Do you agree? What other events would you rate among the top-10, let alone the top-15?