A 1-of-9 1961 Aston Martin DB4GT Lightweight sold for £2,367,000 ($3.113.549) to top Bonhams New Bond Street Sale of collector cars, the auction house announced.
Overall, 13 of the 36 vehicles (36 percent sell-through rate) on the docket went to new owners for a total of £5,269,383 ($6.94 million).
Bonhams said the Aston Lightweight, originally owned by hillclimb racer Phil Scragg, was the subject of “lively” bidding between those in the room in its Mayfair facility and an overseas bidder on the telephone. It was the overseas bidder who finally claimed the car, which was offered for sale for the first time in more than 50 years.
Other highlights of the auction include the sale of a 2016 Ferrari F12tdf Berlinetta owned by Jay Kay, lead singer of Jamiroquai, for £605,000 ($795,816). Another F12tdf, a 2017 70th anniversary edition version and 1 of only 5 “The Scaglietti” versions, sold for £339,250 ($446,249).
The only right-hand-driven 2001 Ferrari 550 GTZ Barchetta sold for £575,000 (756,354).
Top-10 Bonhams New Bond Street 2019
- 1961 Aston Martin DB4GT Lightweight, $3,113,548
- 2016 Ferrari F12tdf Berlinetta, $795,816
- 2001 Ferrari 550 GTZ Barchetta, $756,354
- 2017 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta 70th Anniversary, $446,249
- 1988 Aston Martin V8 Vantage X-Pack, $426,583
- 1994 Aston Martin Virage Volante, $310,105
- 2013 Alfa Romeo 8C Spider, $260,185
- 2010 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG coupe, $193,802
- 2001 Ferrari 550 Maranello coupe, $158,834
- 2009 Aston Martin DBS coupe, $148,245
(Prices reported include buyer’s fee.)
Bonhams next motorcars auction is scheduled for January 16, 2020, in Scottsdale, Arizona. The company holds its annual Las Vegas Motorcycle Auction, January 23 in Las Vegas.