Stylish performer, 1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

Stylish performer, 1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

The Pick of the Day hones in on the coolness factor

The coolness of Pontiac Firebird came as a shock to the senses for young car geeks as it debuted for the 1967 model year.   Because, hey, where was the front bumper? How cool was it that Firebird just had a chrome beak jutting forward, fashioned in Pontiac’s signature split-grille styling?

Even in that time of innovation, experimentation and snorting horsepower, Firebird stood apart as, along with Chevy Camaro, it chased after the sweeping success of Ford Mustang.

firebird

The Pick of the Day is a 1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible powered by a numbers-matching 400cid V8, 400 automatic transmission and original heavy-duty rear, according to the Rockville, Maryland, dealer advertising the Pontiac on ClassicCars.com.

This is an authentic example of the performance Firebird, and “loaded with PHS (Pontiac Historical Society) docs,” the dealer says.

The Firebird is finished in its correct shade of Verdoro Green with a white convertible top and Parchment sport interior, with bucket seats, full console, woodgrain trim and original 3-spoke Firebird steering wheel, the dealer says.

firebird

The performance potential is punctuated by a 160-mph speedometer among the full set of gauges.   The 6.6-liter engine was factory pegged at 335 horsepower, although contemporary road testers estimated that was an underrated figure for its actual output.

Also onboard is power steering and brakes, “great-sounding dual exhaust,” AM/FM/tape audio system and working air conditioner.   The Firebird is fitted with correct PDM Wheels with BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires.

The engine compartment has been detailed to car-show readiness, the seller says, and the entire Firebird looks exceptionally clean in the photos with the ad.

firebird

Like the Camaro, the first-generation Firebird lasted just three model years before a complete makeover, and they are prized among Pontiac collectors, especially the 400 convertible models, which also include the upgraded Ram Air versions.

The asking price for this favorite muscle/pony car is $49,990.

• John Fivaz
    September 22, 2019, 1:08 AM

That Pontiac Firebird is very very very pretty!

• t smux@John Fivaz
      September 22, 2019, 5:14 AM

oh yeah them Birds were always a step up from the Camaro , but what a gosh awful color . I always disliked that green

• M Scott@t smux
        September 22, 2019, 9:41 AM

The Firehawk was even better.

• Gene Rabel@t smux
        September 22, 2019, 11:39 AM

What is meant by matching numbers ?

• Paul Marrujo@Gene Rabel
          September 22, 2019, 7:38 PM

Matching numbers basically means the car still has the original engine, transmission and all major parts of the car.

• Gene Rabel@Gene Rabel
          September 23, 2019, 7:17 AM

• wm wilso@t smux
        September 23, 2019, 2:52 AM

Love the color, needs a black top and black interior to toughen it up.😁

• Mark Kudra
    September 22, 2019, 7:23 AM

Back in the early 70s, I was a 10 kid who used to run around his uncle. He was a teacher. He had to teacher friends who drove Firebirds. One was a gold 68, 350, like the one in the article, and the other was a Verduro green 69, 400. I remember because they boldly displayed the engine size on the hood. I used to ride in both of them quite a bit. I really liked the 69 better because it was extremely fast. It was a four-speed. Years later, at my uncles funeral, the gentleman (Chuck) who had the 69 was there. I had since bought a 70 GTO for the 455. We began to Catch up and talk about cars. I asked him if his Firebird was a Ram Air IV and he said yes! He said he special ordered it. I said, I knew it, because I remember the car being so fast. He got a big smile on his face, and said, I wish I still had it…

• John Loghry
    September 22, 2019, 3:31 PM

I owned a Canary yellow with black vinyl top 69 Firebird 400 with 400 trans. Loved that car, forget the 160 speedo stock you could get to about 125 on a long straight stretch, with a few mods I got mine to 147 according to California highway patrol. I would love to have this vert but out of my price range.
    God bless America

• Larry Hawkins
    September 22, 2019, 11:02 PM

This car is a well equipped rare find with a working A/C, 400 V8, full power and AM/FM Stereo with Tape player. Probably cost about $4400 when new.