Now it’s your turn. Where do you think the hobby’s headed?

Now it’s your turn. Where do you think the hobby’s headed?

We’ve had our say regarding the Road to 2030, but what do you foresee?

During the past week, as the movers and shakers of the collector car hobby were preparing for their annual gathering on the Monterey Peninsula, we asked several of them to help us take a long look through the windshield, scouting out the Road to 2030.

After we introduced the series, Lindsey Harrell took a look at the changes she anticipates in concours and car shows; Michael Bodell did the same regarding car museums; Roger Falcione wrote of changing technology and demographics; John Kruse predicted a major shift for the collector car auction industry; we suggested that the “electra-mod” will become as common as the “resto mod” has become; and McKeel Hagerty had some startling observations about autonomous vehicles and the upcoming generations of car enthusiasts.

The series already has drawn some interesting comments from readers, among them the suggestion that if we want to make the hobby more accepted by everyone, from governments to future generations, we should brand the preservation and restoration of vintage vehicles as a beneficial form of recycling.

Throughout the series, we’ve presented some interesting, engaging and perhaps even controversial ideas about the road the hobby will be traveling in the coming years. Now it’s your turn, since it is you, the hobbyists, from Baby Boomers to Millennials (or even Gen Zers), who actually will determine where we’ll be in 2030, and even beyond.

We welcome your thoughts and we’ll share them through the Comments section below.

• Duane Zaputil
    August 12, 2019, 5:53 AM

I think in the next 10 to 15 years we will see a significant loss in the value of most classic vehicles . Even sooner if we have another major recession . Its already happening with most of the 50s cars . For example You can barley get 28 30 k for a nicely restored original stock Tri 5 chevy two door hardtop these days . The resto mods will bring more but the stockers are hard to sell . The problem is there are more for sale than there are buyers that are interested in them .

• Troy Marshall@Duane Zaputil
      August 12, 2019, 2:14 PM

Classic Cars will always have an attraction. Their beauty is no longer repeated in most modern transportation. The value for mark cars will increase not only for the collector appreciating the nostalgia and appearance but for investment value. Where else can one purchase something so fun, use, stare at and drive for years and then if and when we decide to sell the value is at or more than we paid?

• Dave Weaver@Duane Zaputil
      August 12, 2019, 2:18 PM

clearly interest is down and costs are up the clubs are lucky if they can get 5% participation in events even if held for investment purposes their is very little incentive to purchase a car . Name a celbrity and what car he drives the public hates us if we park to protect our car we are considered snobs when all we want to do is appreciate the cars the politicans hate us and have removed every incentive to own a car. finally no one can or will work on them.

• Wayne Bennett@Dave Weaver
        August 12, 2019, 4:58 PM

I have to agree that interest in old classic and hot rods has probably peaked, I go to car shows here in Canada and unfortunately 90 percent of the guys and gals are balding , grey haired , and wrinkled up 30s 40s and a few 50s people {me included, I’m a 1947 model} Most young people just don’t get it,as far as old cars go…..I just bought a 1985 Olds Delta 88 Brougham in very good original condition from a 36 year old fellow,who inherited this gem from his Grandpa…he just threw up his hands and said, what do I do with this old relick….I said sell it to me son, and I’ll love it forever….so….old guys and gals, lets go out in a blaze of glory and smoking back tires….we really are a dying breed……Wayne Bennett, Kingsville Ontario Canada

• James McIntire@Wayne Bennett
          August 13, 2019, 1:07 PM

Not all of us are like that. I’m 43 years old and I would have done the same thing you did. I would have bought that old Delta 88 and loved ‘er forever. Had I received a car like that from my grandfather I would have never let it get outta my sight! I have to admit though I’m actually somewhat surprised to see someone of your generation collecting a car from the 80’s. Most people of your age bracket won’t touch anything made past about 1969-72. Mention anything from the 70’s or newer and we start hearing the name calling and lambasting and how "they don’t make ’em like they used to…"
          Forgive me if I’m stereotyping too much but I’ve heard it all way too often.

• Steve Hoosack@Duane Zaputil
      August 12, 2019, 3:07 PM

Back before I sent my three kids off to college I owned two Austin Healey 3000 MKIII’s and a Bugeye. All of these were in one stage of restoration or another. Due to the need for tuition money I sold all three for a total of $22,500, not bad change for the early 80’s. Today if I still had these cars (remember all 3 were drivers)j they would be valued somewhere around $60-$65 thousand. The hobby has gone to the wealthy collector a long time ago. If a younger person wants to get into the hobby they need to be realistic with their choice of projects.

• Erich Koehler@Duane Zaputil
      August 13, 2019, 4:24 AM

I’d sure like to know where you’re seeing Tri-Fives for $25,000 to 35,000. Unless its a total wreck I haven’t seen a single one under $60,000. More like $85,000 and those were stock original. I personnally don’t like resto mods.

• Frederick Adler
    August 12, 2019, 2:08 PM

The hobby moves with the generations and the market. Hot Rods and pony cars were something to which a generation aspired while in high school but could not obtain. As the aging continues, what someone wanted in high school changes. At Good Guys in San Diego, there was a low rider pavillion. To stay with the aging, next comes a 70’s and 80’s japanese pavilion as proven by recent TV auctions and some of the prices fetched by Japanese classics. As to "true collector original antique cars" they remain and always will be tied to their limited addition and quality and desirability. It is just "supply and demand". As demand wanes, supply increases and prices drop. It is the same as anything. If you want it, you decide the price you want to pay and more of that thing around, the lower the price.

• Frank Malowany
    August 12, 2019, 2:12 PM

Definitely will be a shift as with each generation. Most local show are run by 50-60 yr. olds and don’t see the value of bringing in more current cars. There will probably be a separate division for Japanese, as they are the future classics along with electric being the wave of the future. Since the market for Model T’s is not what it used to be, I wonder what will happen to say the British cars of yesteryear.

• Joseph Van Vechten
    August 12, 2019, 2:18 PM

I don’t see much of a change in the next 10 years unless the liberals get their way with The Green New Deal and try to eliminate fossil fuels. If that happens I can see the value of classic cars heading downhill. The muscle cars of the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s are doomed if we go to all electric vehicles. If we still have gasoline down the road I think the value of classics will rise because of supply and demand.

• Larry Beesley
    August 12, 2019, 2:30 PM

There is no doubt, the price of collector cars has risen to the point where the grass root collectors can’t afford the hobby anymore. Collectors are getting older and the 30,40s vehicles are just not in demand with younger buyers and there value has plummeted.The 50s,60, and 70s have rose to a plateau where they are unaffordable.

• Dave Bielecki@Larry Beesley
      August 12, 2019, 4:35 PM

I publish a local car show publication, Car Show & Cruise Guide in the Baltimore area. Five years ago, me and some friends started a foundation to try to find some way to get younger people interested in our hobby ( Custom & Classic Car Educational Foundation). We get some help from the car clubs, but very little interest in helping us from individual owners. I see values dropping as the car owners age, right now in our area the age is 63 and getting greyer all the time. My personal belief is when the values drop significantly on the muscle cars, folks will then begin to find ways to change things. Likely too late- Dave Bielecki http://www.SavetheHobby.org

• RON Belward@Larry Beesley
      August 13, 2019, 2:45 PM

it doesn’t matter how high the cost goes. I’ve had some expensive cars, ’69 Roadrunner w/426 new in ’69 (wrecked) , 63 Galaxie 427(just sold to Reg in B.C, ’63 ‘vette 327, back in ’71, sold during a stupid mood, ’68 Javlin 343 and ’67 Rebel 390 ar same time we sold to buy home, probably every other car you can think of(had wrecking yard) still playing with flathead Fords, Model T coupe on an A chassis and have a ’66 Plymoutg Sport Fury drop top they’re putting a new 440 in for me and I’m 72. got 1st car at 13(28 Plymouth(free for cleaning property ) and even though I’m disabled on a fixed pension I’m still looking at more and will till they bury me in one of them. people will always want their cars, new or old, trailer queen or rat rod. WHEELS ARE AS NECCESSARY AS OXYGEN TO SURVIVE once youve been bitten or smitten. always was and always will be my 1st love. my favorite concert was ZZ TOP "RECYCLER" HA HA

• John legath@RON Belward
        August 14, 2019, 8:43 AM

We need to get the hobbyist back into the hobby by making it affordable for younger folks high end auctions hurt the hobbyist.AACA and other clubs need to get back to their beginnings when hobbyist drove their vehicles an had fun .Forget the trophy crowd