‘Gullwing’ Benz coupe is No. 2 on the sold list at the sale
Bonhams reported neither an overall sales total nor a sell-through rate, but did say that “concours-ready classics” set the pace for its eighth Les Grandes Marques du Monde au Grand Palais auction, held Thursday during Retromobile 2019 in Paris.
“The top lots such as the Mercedes-Benz Gullwing, the Mercedes-Benz 540K, the Porsche 356 and the Bentley 6½-Litre were all outstanding examples of some of the most desirable and iconic models in the automotive world, and rightly commanded impressive prices,” claimed Philip Kantor, the auction house’s European director of motoring.
Topping the sale, which sent more than 140 vehicles across the block, was a 1939 Mercedes-Benz 540K cabriolet A formerly owned by King Hussein bin Talal, the former King of Jordan. The car sold to a European bidder for $1.794 million.
Top 10 sales, Bonhams Retromobile sale 2019
- 1939 Mercedes-Benz 540K cabriolet A, $1,794,086
- 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL ‘Gullwing’ coupe, $1,370,249
- 1928 Bentley 6 1/2-liter Four Light Weymann-fabric sports saloon, $1,304,790
- 1950 Porsche 356 split-window ‘four-digit’ coupe, $913,353
- 1931 Bentley 8-liter sports tourer, $893,781
- 1974 Ferrari 365 GT4 Berlinetta Boxer, $315,759
- 1937 Alfa Romeo 6C-2300 Berlina by Stablimenti Farina, $300,101
- 1939 BMW 327/328 sports cabriolet, $241,386
- 1958 BMW 503 3.2-liter Sieres II coupe, $241,386
- 1934 Lagonda M45 T7 tourer, $241,386
(Prices include buyer’s fee.)
Bonhams next auction is scheduled for March 7 at Amelia Island, Florida.2 comments