Deuce and a Quarter: Buick Electra 225 high school memory

Deuce and a Quarter: Buick Electra 225 high school memory

The Pick of the Day is a large and luxurious GM sedan with low-mileage

I have only owned three American cars that were not race cars; everything else has been European with the occasional Japanese sports car thrown in.

The Pick of the Day is from that short list of American cars I have owned, a car I drove in high school when my other ones did not run, a 1966 Buick Electra 225 located in St. Louis, Missouri.

Buick

The sedan’s name references its total length in inches

The Electra 225, or Deuce and a Quarter as their fans call them, is named for its total length: 225 inches. These big luxury sedans were from the end of a truly great era for Buick. They were built to compete with Mercury and Chrysler and were just a notch down in quality and luxury from their Cadillac cousins.

The classic Electra 225 offered large-displacement engines with strong horsepower and prodigious amounts of torque. This 1966 model is powered by the last of the Buick Wildcat “Nailhead” V8s, a 401 cubic-inch beast that delivers 325 horsepower and 445 pounds-feet of torque. The engine is mated with a Super Turbine 3-speed automatic transmission, which makes this car the perfect mode of transportation for devouring hundreds of miles of interstate.

Buick

The 401cid ‘Nailhead’ V8 is rated at 325 horsepower

This low-mile example has all of its original LOF window glass, all original body panels, all original interior carpet and upholstery, original trunk equipment, and all factory chrome and trim, according to the seller, a St. Louis, Missouri, dealer advertising the Buick on ClassicCars.com.

RELATED:  1960 Bentley S2

The Buick has covered just 41,589 miles since new, the seller says, and “continues to run and drive with exceptional ease.” According to the ad, the seller recently replaced the air conditioner compressor clutch and converted the system to R134a refrigerant; replaced all the door-window weather stripping and under-hood insulation; and detailed the car under the hood to make it a show-worthy example of one of the ultimate 1960s American land yachts.

Buick

Plenty of room for taking your buddies on a road trip

The Buick would be a fantastic car for running in a multi-day, long-distance vintage car rally, such as Arizona’s Copperstate 1000. This is the perfect car for you and three of your friends, as well as every bit of their luggage in the voluminous trunk. No, it wouldn’t be the most sporting car on the rally, but it most likely would be the most comfortable.

When I bought my Electra 225, a 1968 model that was all original and in mint condition, it cost $1,000. My friend Trent Abbott, another European car collector, bought one in the 1990s for only $500. Prices for these cars have gone up, and this one represents a strong buy for an asking price of $15,900.

In 1966, Buick ads called the Electra 225 the “best of everything Buick,” and I would have to agree.

RELATED:  1930 Ford speed-record-style street rod

• James Mitchell
    February 6, 2019, 6:42 AM

My aunt and uncle had a 65. They lengthened the garage instead of buying smaller cars. Yours is in mint condition. I’m on Long Island. Where are you?

• Kristen Lance
    February 6, 2019, 7:22 AM

Love your morning updates! Hope one day you spot light a 72 Caprice Coupe. That was my first car!

• Jim Harger
    February 6, 2019, 8:45 AM

My dad drove a ’66 Electra like this, just when I was learning to drive. Not only was this land yacht big enough to comfortably seat six, it beat a 68 Bonneville with a 428 in the quarter mile. Unfortunately, the body fell victim to Michigan’s salty roads.

• BIGE Rob@Jim Harger
      February 7, 2019, 2:31 AM

I have a 68 Buick Electra do some cool water I’ve had for about 10 years restored it 10 years ago been garage kept ever cents 60,000 original miles on the title clean title so I can hour you could say just stole my car out there see what I can get rid of them I’m looking for a convertible I want to do some work on the car but my car is immaculate

• Fredsuela Oscar De Lamalangineo
    February 6, 2019, 3:36 PM

I was an exchange student in Ohio in 1968. The family I was with had one of these immense cars. The son, John, was allowed to drive it. After a while he allowed me to drive it in large mall parking lots out far from the mall. I remember thinking…."unbelievable"……I learned American slang for it calling it a "deuce and a quarter". I had sex with a nice girl from our school in the back seat of this car half way through my 1 year visit …at the drive in south of Dayton, Ohio. The back seat was like a small bedroom in my home country. I began to like the "deuce and a quarter" and have fond memories of it today.

• Ryan Corman@Fredsuela Oscar De Lamalangineo
      February 6, 2019, 7:42 PM

Senor De Lamalanginieo-
      I grew up in housing projects in the ’70’s, in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.
      A skinny white boy with glasses and tooth braces, and the only "white" boy in the neighborhood, I always loved fast cars; my friends and brothers loved big, luxurious land yachts. The 225 was in very high demand, as well as the Oldsmobile 98 and any Cadillac, coupe or sedan.
      I remember *ahem* girls in the back seat at the drive-in movies.
      I’m glad this isn’t just an American experience.
      Peace!

• Paul Krause
    February 6, 2019, 7:50 PM

Where and what price is the 1966 225 Buick…..