(Editor’s note: As a followup to our December-long series on our favorite car movies, we present this report on a list of iconic movie vehicles.)
“Batman would not be considered as impressive if he had to run around on foot, and Back to the Future would not be quite as exhilarating had it not been for the time-traveling DeLorean,” notes GoCompare.com, a British website that provides car insurance information.
“While cars are rarely the stars of movies, they often play critical roles in films,” the website continued in announcing its list of the most iconic car makes and models that have appeared in movies since the 1960s.
“We’ve analyzed decades worth of movie data in order to uncover the most iconic car makes and models that have appeared on the big screen every decade since the ‘60s,” the news release continued.
“Our criteria was simple; the car needed to have featured prominently in the film or have been used by a main cast member on screen. From there we found the most frequently occurring makes and models. In order to classify a car as ‘Iconic’ we used IMDb popularity of the film combined with their appearances in film.”
The “most iconic” movie cars by decade:
1960s — 1. Goldfinger Aston Martin DB5, 2. Easy Rider Harley-Davidson Panhead, 3. Bullitt Ford Mustang.
1970s — 1. Mad Max Ford Falcon, 2. The French Connection Lincoln Continental Mark III, 3. American Graffiti Ford.
1980s — 1. Back to the Future DeLorean DMC12, 2. Rain Man Buick Roadmaster, 3. Ghostbusters Cadillac ambulance.
1990s — 1. Back to the Future Part II DeLorean DMC12, 2. Speed GM TDH 5303 bus, 3. Batman Returns Batmobile.
2000s — 1. Gran Torino Ford Gran Torino, 2. Transformers Chevrolet Camaro, 3. Little Miss Sunshine Volkswagen van.
2010s — 1. Mad Max: Fury Road Tatra 815-7, Transformers: Age of Extinction Chevrolet Camaro, 3. The Lincoln Lawyer Lincoln Town Car.
In addition to the list by decades, the website offered two other lists, based on movie appearances since the start of the 1960s:
Top-10 models (with most famous film appearances):
- Ford Mustang (Death Race, Gone in 60 Seconds, Bullitt)
- Ford Crown Victoria (Taken 3, Seven Pounds, Superbad)
- Chevrolet Impala (Jeepers Creepers, Raising Arizona Saturday Night Fever)
- Chevrolet Caprice (The Dukes of Hazzard, Se7en, Point Break)
- Ford Econoline (Enemy of the State, Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, Dumb and Dumber)
- Mercedes-Benz S-Class (The Fate of the Furious, 21 Jump Street, The Bourne Identity)
- Chevrolet Camaro (Transformers, Spring Breakers, 2 Fast 2 Furious)
- Volkswagen Golf (The Guilt Trip, Notes on a Scandal, Home for the Holidays)
- Toyota Land Cruiser (Safe House, The Mist, Unfaithful)
- Lincoln Town Car stretched limousine (The Hangover Part III, Desperado, The Bodyguard)