The 1979 Porsche 930 Turbo originally owned by NFL legend Walter Payton led this past weekend’s Mecum Chicago auction, which reached an overall total of $17.5 million – a 38 percent increase over last year’s sale – with 75 percent of the 896 vehicles going to new owners.
The Porsche 930 that was purchased new by Payton and consigned by his son, Jarrett, with just 10,000 miles on its odometer, sold for $324,500 (all results include buyer’s fees) to lead the auction held at Schaumburg Convention Center in Schaumburg, Illinois, just north of Chicago.
Following the 930 in the top-seller list was a 1970 Plymouth Hemi Superbird that sold for $280,500. Coming in third was a 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG at $192,250; the Mercedes headlined the 58-car Tom Jellison Collection that sold in its entirety for nearly $2 million.
An added attraction to the auction was Mecum’s second-year partnership with the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team, featuring discount admission for fans wearing team apparel.
The complete top 10 collector-car sales at the Mecum Chicago 2018 auction include:
1. 1979 Porsche 930 Turbo at $324,500
2. 1970 Plymouth Hemi Superbird at $280,500
3. 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG at $195,250
4. 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro at $192,500
5. 1968 Shelby GT500KR convertible at $165,000
6. 2017 Ford Mustang Petty’s Garage at $165,000
7. 1968 Ford Mustang fastback at $151,250
8. 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon at $143,000
9. 1967 Ford Mustang fastback at $126,500
10. 1956 Desoto Fireflite convertible at $121,000
(All auction results include buyer’s fees)
Mecum’s next auction takes place November 15-17 at the Las Vegas Convention Center, with 1,000 vehicles expected and headlined by the Academy of Art University Collection of 45 prewar luxury touring vehicles.
For more information, visit the Mecum website.