As might be expected for an auction held in conjunction with the Goodwood Revival vintage racing weekend, Bonhams’ 20th Goodwood Revival Sale was dominated by cars with on-track history, with several selling for record prices.
A 1964 Shelby Cobra 289 competition roadster sold for £1,390,000 ($ 1.76 million), a European auction record for the marque, and a 1990 Jaguar XJR-11 Group C sports prototype formerly campaigned by Tom Walkinshaw Racing brought £1,191,000 ($1.547 million), a world auction record for such a car.
An ex-Alan Mann Racing 1968-69 Type Ford P68 “F3L” Group 6 endurance racing coupe sold for £511,750 ($664,996) to a bidder who apparently plans to use in for vintage racing — he sat in the car during the auction preview with his racing helmet on to make sure he fit.
The ex-Maserati works team Fiat-Bartoletti Tipo 624 racing car transporter used not only by several teams but in the movie Le Mans sold for £402,500 ($523,031).
Among non-racing cars, a 1955 Rolls-Royce Phantom IV state laudaulette that had been used by Queen Elizabeth sold for £800,000 ($ 1.039 million).
A 1972 Ferrari 256 GT Dino coupe formerly owned by rocker Keith Richards sold for a world record £442,750 ($575,334).
Yet another auction record was set when UK vehicle registration number “RR 1” sold for £460,000 ($597,750). Such historic low-number plates are highly valued by British car collectors.
Overall, the auction reported sales of £14,540,675 ($18.926 million).
Top 10 sales, Bonhams Goodwood Revival 2018
- 1964 Shelby Cobra 289 competition roadster, $1,765,961
- 1990 Jaguar XJR-11 Group C sports prototype, $1,547,652
- 1955 Rolls-Royce Phantom IV state landaulette, $1,039,565
- 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300SL roadster, $980,000
- 1937 Jaguar SS100 3 1/2-liter roadster, $819,957
- 1960 Aston Martin DB4 to Gt specification, $732,242
- 1924 Bugatti Type 30 two-seat racer, $702,356
- 1968-69 Type Ford P68 ‘F3L’ Group 6 endurance racing coupe, $664,996
- UK vehicle registration “RR 1,” $597,750
- 1972 Ferrari Dino 246 GT (ex-Keith Richards), $575,334
(Prices include buyer’s fee.)
Bonhams next sale, the Zoute Sale, is scheduled for October 5 in Belgium.