Man gets more than 5 years in prison for running classic car scam

Man gets more than 5 years in prison for running classic car scam

Victims defrauded of more than $140,000

A Los Angeles man was sentenced to more than five years in prison Thursday for running a classic car scam, the United States Attorney’s Office said in a news release.

Shakir McNeal, 45, pleaded guilty to posting cars for sale from the 1960s and ’70s on various websites, such as Craigslist, but had no intention of delivering the cars to the buyers. The cars were listed on Craigslist sites in Minneapolis, Albuquerque, Chattanooga, Los Angeles, Omaha, Peoria and Atlanta.

McNeal and several co-conspirators — Anthony V. Newton, Shaquana K. Taylor, Dewrel L. Burleson — used various email accounts and phone numbers that they would abandon after getting a buyer’s money. They also used multiple bank accounts.

The attorney’s office said McNeal and the others stole a total of $143,675 from 14 victims.

McNeal pleaded guilty in November. He was scheduled to be sentenced in February but was placed on bond to visit his ailing mother.  He failed to show up to his sentencing and a warrant was issued.

McNeal was arrested June 12 in Los Angeles. McNeal’s sentence came about one week after the United States Attorney’s Office charged 25 people in another classic car scam that allegedly swindled $4.5 million from victims.

• Jeremiah McKenna
    August 6, 2018, 4:00 PM

You have to be very careful about buying vehicles on line. I do it in person, or have someone I trust go there and look at the vehicle, pay for it, put it on the trailer and bring it home.

You can tell the fake scams on Craigslist, because either the language in the description doesn’t make sense, the photos have been copied and are rough/digitized on the edges or they use the same email response about how their husband recently died and they need to get rid of it for a ridiculous amount, but the bike or car is at the shipping station etc.

• Ford Henry
    August 6, 2018, 4:45 PM

Nearly $150k and he only got 5 years? Multiple grand theft charges should have been charged…like 14…1 for each victim!

• Terry Reagh
    August 6, 2018, 5:02 PM

My compliments to the editor and publisher of these stories regarding Classic Car Scams.

I feel somewhat sympathetic towards the customers that have been ‘ Duped ‘ and/or scammed. However, how is it possible that customers in the 21 Century can be so naïve. If you want to purchase a vehicle at a distance, involve a 3rd party to verify the authenticity of the vehicle available, have the service provider undertake an complete and proper inspection and coordinate its delivery. I believe the whole process would be less than $1,000 for this service. Further, a new buyer would need to arrange for insurance either through the delivery company and or a separate 3rd party insurer. The whole scenario is sad…… very sad, certainly but avoidable !

• FREDERICK WILEY
    August 6, 2018, 5:12 PM

I would never exchange money without seeing the car I wanted to purchase.I traveled 2200 miles one way to see the car I purchased, even though it was less than fifteen thousand dollars. My wife and I ended up spending most of the day with the owner and even took him to lunch. On the other hand I traveled 500 miles to a national retail showroom and was treated poorly and therefore did not buy a car. I have learned a lot since joining the car hobby.

• Jeffrey Heller
    August 6, 2018, 6:56 PM

Explaining the scam as done would really be informative…..that it happened – not so much

• Ken Schrage@Jeffrey Heller
      August 7, 2018, 8:19 AM

Five years you got to be kidding.he should have to work it off.hope the five years is hard labor or just put him in a room with the people he scammed for a hour