Led by a pair of Mopar “winged warriors,” Mecum Auctions claimed $20 million in sales (not including auction fees) from its collector car sale this past weekend in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, which included a Gone Farmin’ auction of vintage tractors and equipment.
The collector car auction boasted a 74 percent sell-through rate with 636 vehicles going to new homes. American muscle cars from the 1960s and ’70s dominated the results, with seven of the top 10 sellers coming from the muscle era.
The two highest-selling cars were NASCAR homologation specials, with a 1970 Plymouth Hemi Superbird scoring the top spot at $415,000 (Mecum results do not include auction fees), and a 1969 Dodge Daytona hitting $215,000. The aerodynamic coupes with towering rear wings were produced for showroom sales as Plymouth and Dodge fought for the competitive advantage in stock car racing, and they are making headway today as popular collector cars.
Next highest was an example of modern muscle, a 2012 Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake that hammered at $178,000. A 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T was next at $165,000, followed by a 1968 Ford Shelby GT 500KR fastback at $162,500. Another 1970 Plymouth Superbird achieved $160,000, while a 1969 D0dge Hemi Super Bee and a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 tied at $140,000.
The top 10 highest sellers for Mecum’s Harrisburg auction were:
1. 1970 Plymouth Hemi Superbird at $415,000
2. 1969 Dodge Daytona at $215,000
3. 2012 Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake at $178,000
4. 1971 Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T (at $165,000
5. 1968 Shelby GT500KR fastback at $162,500
6. 1970 Plymouth Superbird at $160,000
7. 1969 Dodge Hemi Super Bee at $140,000
8. 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 $140,000
9. 1991 Ferrari Testarossa at $130,000
10. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette split-window coupe at $127,500
(Results do not include auction fees)
Mecum heads next to Monterey Car Week for its Daytime Auction on August 16-19, with modern and vintage exotics headlining the 600-vehicle sale, including a collection of classic motorcycles. For information, visit the auction website.