More than 5,000 car enthusiasts attended the fourth annual “AmeriCarna Live” car show, organized again to raise funds for Ignite
More than 5,000 car enthusiasts attended the fourth annual “AmeriCarna Live” car show, organized again to raise funds for Ignite, a community center for young adults with high functioning autism or Asperger’s Syndrome founded by the show’s host, former NASCAR crew chief Ray Evernham, who also is the star of the Velocity channels AmeriCarna.
“Today was a great day for car lovers of all ages,” Evernham said of the show, held November 26 at the Ingersoll Rand North American headquarters in Davidson, North Carolina.
“We had an incredible lineup of cars, a great turnout of attendees and terrific partners who made it all possible.”
Several NASCAR racers were in attendance, including Ryan Newman, driver of the No. 31 Caterpillar Chevrolet; Joey Logano, driver of the No. 22 Shell Ford; Kyle Busch, driver of the No. 18 M&Ms Toyota; and Ron Malec, car chief for the 2016 championship-winning No. 48 Lowe’s Chevrolet of Jimmie Johnson.
Another highlight was a display of several cars owned by NASCAR celebrities, including Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s 2004 Chevy Silverado 4×4, Jeff Gordon’s 2016 Chevrolet Z06 Corvette C7.R Edition, Logano’s Dodge Power Wagon, Newman’s 1939 Hudson Terraplane, Malec’s 1969 Ford Mustang Mach I, several cars from the collection of NASCAR team owner Rick Hendrick, and Evernham’s own and recently restored 1958 Chevy Impala from the movie, American Graffiti.
“This show just continues grow and grow every year” Evernham said. “I’d like to offer a sincere ‘thank you’ to everyone who came out to support this great cause.”
Award winners at the event were:
- MSC Industrial Supply Co. Choice Award – Chuck and Chip Murray – 1957 Chevrolet Corvette
- Autogeek Choice Award – John Dieta – 2016 Dodge Challenger
- Carlisle Companies – Jerry Peters – 1965 Ford Cortina MK 1GT
- Hendrick Northlake Choice Award – David Melton – 1971 Pontiac Trans Am
- Ryan Newman Choice Award – Don Crump – 1954 Chevy pickup
- Jimmie Johnson Choice Award — James and Betty Deason — 1955 Chevy 210 sedan
- Joey Logano Choice Award – James Civali – 1968 Ford Mustang
- Martin Truex, Jr. Choice Award – Ed Feguson — 2000 custom Jeep
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. Choice Award – Dicky Engleman – 1957 Chevy 210 Custom
- Denny Hamlin Choice Award — Josh and Joe Bailey – 1956 Chevrolet 210 hardtop
- Hendrick Motorsports Choice Award – Ron Malec – 1969 Ford Mustang Mach I
- O’Reilly’s Auto Parts Choice Awards – Mark and Janet Irving – 1970 Plymouth Superbird
- NASCAR Choice Awards – Brian and Suzette Harper – 1967 Chevy C10
- Traditional Hot Rod Choice Award – Dwight Cass – 1939 Ford Deluxe coupe (Moonshine Special)
- Off-Road Choice Award – David Conkn – 2009 Jeep JK
- Import Choice Award – Rob Kauffman – 1957 Maserati 300S
- Vintage Race Car Choice Award – Gene Cromer – 1941 Willys
- Custom Choice Award – Will Yarborough – 2012 Dodge Charger
- Most Entries from a Car Club – Fifth Generation Camaros of the Carolinas
- IGNITE Choice Award – Jody McCall – McCall 270 Micro Sprint
- “Pop” Evernham Choice Award – Mr. and Mrs. Plemmons – 1935 Buick Sedan
- AmeriCarna Choice Award/Spirit Award – Dave Roberts
- Ray Evernham Choice Award – Tommy Schneck – 1931 Ford Model A