Fresh from its record-setting sale in Monterey and its participation in Auction America’s huge Labor Day event in Auburn, Indiana, RM Sotheby’s is back at it September 7 with its 10th annual London Auction, again being held in conjunction with the Concours of Elegance, which this year is being held at Windsor Castle as part of Queen Elizabeth’s 90th birthday celebration.
Earlier this year, RM Sotheby’s announced two pair of celebrity cars for the sale — John Lennon’s 1956 Austin Princess limousine and actor James Mason’s 1965 Mercedes-Benz 300 SE convertible — as well as what it called the “holy trifecta” of Aston Martin DB4s — a 1960 DB4GT (one of only three fitted with back seats), 1963 DB4 Series V convertible (one of 70 produced) and 1960 DB4 Series II coupe.
But we’ve just paged through the auction’s more than 300-page catalog and found some other cars of note:
- A 1897 Vallee Vis-a-Vis from the Henri Malarte collection that’s eligible for the annual London-to-Brighton rally.
- A 1952 Alfa Romeo 1900 M “Matta,” a Jeep-like military reconnaissance vehicle known as the “Mad Alfa” and one of only 2,000 such pre-SUVs produced for Italy’s Ministry of Defense.
A barn-found 1967 Iso Grifo GL Series I.
- The 1997 Audi A4 quattro super touring car racer built for and autographed by five-time Le Mans winner Emanuele Pirro.
- An 8-vehicle private collection of Porsches including a 1977 911 Turbo, 1989 911 Turbo, 1993 911 Carrera RS 3.8 (one of only 55 produced), 1993 911 Turbo S Lightweight (one of 86 built), 1995 911 Carrera RS Clubpsport (one of only 100), 1998 911 Turbo S 1995 911 GT2, 1973 911 Carrera RS 2.7 Lightweight.
- A 6-vehicle private collection of relatively modern and high-performance Mercedes-Benzes as well as a 1981 300 Gelandewagen and a 1970 300 SEL 3.5.
- A 1960 Ferrari 250 GT cabriolet Series II that was displayed at Villa d’Este in 2014.
- A 1939 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 sport cabriolet bodied by Touring.
- A 1961 Sunbeam Harrington Alpine NART coupe that raced twice in the 12 Hours of Sebring, as a Rootes Group works car in 1962 and as the NART entry in 1963.
- A 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL roadster.
- A 5-car grouping from the estate of Edward Carter including a 1934 Lagonda M45 T7 Tourer, 1954 Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica, 1929 Bentley 6 1/2-liter Sedanca de Ville, 2002 Ferrari575M Maranello and 1953 Jaguar XK 120 SE roadster.
The auction takes place at the Battersea Evolution at the Chelsea Bridge entrance to London’s Battersea Park.