With 29 of the 38 lots selling, the auction totaled more than $4.8 million in sales, led by the $872,022 paid for a 1989 Ferrari F40 formerly owned by Nigel Mansell.
Bonhams’ Zoute sale isn’t the most significant — only 38 cars were offered last weekend at the seaside resort of Knokke-Le-Zoute in Belgian — but the auction is held in conjunction with the Zoute Grand Prix Rally and Concours d’Elegance and attracts an active group of classic car collectors and an interesting array of cars.,/p>
With 29 of the 38 lots selling, the auction totaled more than $4.8 million in sales, led by the $872,022 paid for a 1989 Ferrari F40 formerly owned by World Driving Champion Nigel Mansell.
A 1984 Lamborghini Countach 5000 S coupe went for $421,477 and a 1965 Lancia Flaminia Super Sport with Zagato double-bubble bodywork brought $377,876.
“We’ve enjoyed another great sale at Zoute, achieving nearly double last year’s total,” said Philip Kantor, who heads Bonhams’ Continental European Motoring department.
“Offering an eclectic selection from the best of European classic motoring, the Zoute auction attracts international interest with clients from across the globe bidding. (It was) wonderful for a sale in only its second year.”
Several of the cars sold for more than their pre-auction estimates, but none reached the heights of the auction’s first lot — a 1978 Alfa Romeo 8C Monza child’s car. The pre-sale estimate was in the $2,500 to $5,000 range, but the little car sold for $39,967.
Top 10 sales, Bonhams’ Zoute auction:
- 1989 Ferrari F40, $872,022
- 1984 Lamborghini Countach 5000 S coupe, $421,477
- 1965 Lancia Flaminia Super Sport Zagato coupe, $377,876
- 1972 Ferrari 365GTC/4 Berlinetta, $363,342
- 1962 Porsche 356B 1600 Reutter ‘Rijkspolitie’ cabriolet, $297,940
- 1969 Maserati Sebring 3700 coupe, $244,166
- 1965 Jaguar E-type Series 1 roadster, $239,806
- 1967 Citroen DS21 Decapotable, $225,272
- 1973 Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman limousine, $225,272
- 1961 Porsche 356B T5 1600 Super cabriolet, $218,005
(All prices include buyer’s premium.)